Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial -WealthRoots Academy
SafeX Pro:NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 02:56:52
NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors are SafeX Proasking a Manhattan judge to consolidate the two sex crime cases that Harvey Weinstein faces in New York into a single trial this year — a move that the disgraced movie mogul’s lawyers oppose.
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office argued in court filings released Friday that the cases have significant overlap as they involve similar criminal statutes, witnesses, expert testimony and documentary evidence.
They say separate trials would be “extraordinarily inefficient and burdensome” and waste judicial resources.
“There is a strong public interest in consolidating these indictments for trial because separate trials would require duplicative, lengthy, and expensive proceedings that would needlessly consume judicial and party resources,” the office wrote in its filings.
Weinstein is awaiting retrial on two sex charges stemming from his landmark #MeToo case after the state’s highest court overturned his 2020 conviction earlier this year.
He also pleaded not guilty last month to a new sex crime charge in which prosecutors say he forced oral sex on a woman in a Manhattan hotel in spring 2006.
Weinstein’s lawyers, in court filings submitted earlier this month, argued the cases should remain separate.
They said prosecutors are attempting to “expand the scope” of the court-ordered retrial and transform it into “an entirely new proceeding” by including the new charges.
“Having deprived Defendant of a fair trial once, the People unapologetically—indeed, unabashedly—seek to do so again by smuggling an additional charge into the case for the improper purpose of bolstering the credibility of the complainant in the 2024 indictment,” Weinstein’s lawyers wrote.
A judge is expected to consider the arguments at a hearing later this month.
Weinstein, who has been in custody since his conviction, was also convicted of rape in Los Angeles in 2022, though his lawyers have appealed.
The 72-year-old co-founded the film and television production companies Miramax and The Weinstein Company and, produced films such as “Shakespeare in Love” and “The Crying Game.”
Manhattan prosecutors, in their filings, laid out some of their plans for the upcoming retrial, which had been slated to open Nov. 12.
They said they intend to call 12 to 15 witnesses to testify on issues relevant to both the new and old charges, including the victims and corroborating witnesses.
Prosecutors said they’ll also call on experts with knowledge of Weinstein’s “status and influence in the entertainment industry” both in order to “establish the power imbalance” between the once-powerful producer and the victims, many of whom worked in the industry.
They also anticipate testimony from a photographer who can corroborate testimony from the victims about “distinctive features” of Weinstein’s body, something that was also a focus during his prior trial.
Weinstein’s lawyers, meanwhile, complained that prosecutors had long been aware of the allegations in the latest criminal indictment yet “held this case in their back pocket for years.”
They said Bragg’s office had been in contact with the latest accuser going back to Weinstein’s original trial and that she’s changed her stories about her interactions with Weinstein over the years.
Lindsay Goldbrum, an attorney that represents the woman, didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment Friday.
She’s previously said the woman has never made her accusation public and doesn’t want to be identified for now.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (3153)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Alabama panel approves companies to grow, distribute medical marijuana
- Viola Davis Has an Entirely Charming Love Story That You Should Know
- Prosecutors seek Jan. 2 trial date for Donald Trump in his 2020 election conspiracy case
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Nuggets host Lakers, Suns' Kevin Durant returns to Golden State on NBA opening night
- Two years after fall of Kabul, tens of thousands of Afghans languish in limbo waiting for US visas
- Savannah Chrisley Celebrates Niece Chloe's First Day of 5th Grade
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- China accuses US of trying to block its development and demands that technology curbs be repealed
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Trumpetfish: The fish that conceal themselves to hunt
- Mary Cosby Makes Epic Return in Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Season 4 Trailer
- Miami-area village plans peacock vasectomies to try to curb their population
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Ex-NFL player Buster Skrine arrested for $100k in fraud charges in Canada
- FEC moves toward potentially regulating AI deepfakes in campaign ads
- Wholesale inflation in US edged up in July from low levels
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Police investigate shooting at Nashville library that left 2 people wounded
Sweden stakes claim as a Women's World Cup favorite by stopping Japan in quarterfinals
New ferry linking El Salvador and Costa Rica aims to cut shipping times, avoid border problems
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
John Anderson: The Wealth Architect's Journey from Wall Street to Global Dominance
'King Of The Hill' actor Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble, dies at 64
Tory Lanez maintains his innocence after 10-year prison sentence: 'I refuse to stop fighting'